What causes soreness in rib cage?

I have on two occasions a soreness in right rib cage which travels to the back ribs. After a few days it goes away on its own. I'm concerned it may have to do with liver function.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Need additional information... Detailed Answer: Hi, Occasional soreness on the right chest may or may not be from the liver. On an average, I see patients with liver issues presenting with constant dull ache, nausea, abdominal fullness with or without jaundice at my clinic. Therefore I don't think the occasional soreness is related to a serious liver pathology. If your last liver function test was normal, you could rule this out. I request for addition details to understand the exact pathology. 1. How long have you been suffering with this ache? Are you in pain now? 2. Can you describe how the pain feels - is it like a pin prick, shooting pain, drilling type, a burning sensation or just a dull ache? 3. Does the pain worsen with movement, with breathing and when you cough? 4. Do you also have fever with this pain? 5. What other symptoms do you have? 6. Is it related to food intake? I shall wait for your reply before commenting further... Regards