What causes soreness in chest and firm nodule tender to palpation?

Dec 2012

I have a 14 year old wrestler that is complaining of a sore on his chest for 3 days which has gradually worsened. exam finds a 2 cm raised, firm nodule which is tender to palpation and seems to be coming to a head. what would be my differential diagnosis
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Abscess is most likely Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX From your clear cut description, I will say he is having an abscess (probably still developing without pus). It will also be wise to rule out benign subcutaneous tumors, such as cyst and adenoma. Besides those, the rest are less likely to occur for a young teenage with no particular medical history. I just he be placed on antibiotics such as cloxacillin and antiinflammatory such as ibuprofen for 5-7 days then reexamine after 5-7 days. If it is an abscess, pus will collect and can then be drained subsequently so that healing should be more effective. If after 5-7 days the nodule is still firm and not collecting pus, I will suggest a fine needle aspiration and if nothing comes out, it will be best to refer the child to a surgeon who can have a proper look at the nodule. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah