Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes sore throat,cold and numbness after wisdom tooth removal?

I had an upper wisdom tooth removed and the moment I left the dentist I had a severe burning / stinging throat. It lasted the remainder of the day the whole night and most of the following day. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my throat. I went back the next morning to see if it was an allergic reaction but the dentist didn't think it was but all they did was look at it. I ended up getting a bit of a cold right after getting the tooth pulled that I had been fighting off before my opponent. Was this an allergic reaction or just coincidence due to the cold and having my immune system be complicatex? I have a severe fear of allergic reactions and anxiety which is treated with ciprolex but I'm having another tooth pulled in the morning and I'm ultra terrified I'll have an allergic reaction with sore throat pain. Please help.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes wisdom tooth removal may cause sore throat Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. Wisdom tooth removal is surgical procedure & may lead to few complications like fever, pain, numbness, sore throat, swelling & it will resolve within 2-3 days. Sorethroat can be experienced after surgery as the muscles near the extraction site get swollen, the normal act of swallowing can then become painful. This will subside in 2-3 days. This may not be allergy but an expected reaction to post extraction procedure. Do not be anxious I suggest to follow few guidelines:- -maintain proper oral hygiene -warm saline rinses -complete your course of medication - Proper rest for couple of days It will resolve by itself & still if problem persists more than 3 days then consult dentist. Hope I answered your query Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra