What causes sore nipples and absence of periods when suffering from mirena?

I've have the mirena for a little over a year and just recently in the past few months I've experienced tender and sore nipples, my boobs are fine.. its just mainly when I press in at the nipple area.. wondering if this is just symptom from the mirena??.. I haven't had my period since I've had the mirena..
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX First of all, it is normal to not get your period while the Mirena is in place. The progesterone released by the device acts locally within the uterus to prevent the normal shedding that occurs monthly. That being said, no form of birth control is 100% effective. Yes, breast symptoms are a sign of pregnancy. You should check a pregnancy test now. If the test is negative, then in all likelihood, the symptoms you are experiencing are just related to the hormonal changes that still occurr with your cycle. These symptoms still occur despite the lack of growth and shedding of the uterine lining. Please ask if you have additional questions!!