What causes soft tissue injuries in child after brith?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
i am trying to find a doctor in or around Boerne Tx. for my son and his wife. They have a baby girl who was born a month early, she is now 2months old,and in the hospital due to fluid and bleeding on her brain and now they have found that she has 3 cracked ribs and they cant seem to find out what caused it. i have been doing my on research.any info you can give to help or what doctor they might can get to come in would be very helpful.Thank you
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Birth trauma, connective tissue disorder suspected Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. Injuries after birth- soft tissue injuries i.e. swelling in the head, bleeding in the brain and bone injuries - fracture of ribs is most commonly seen due to trauma during birth. What kind of delivery did your patient have? Was it normal vaginal deliver? Was the baby large in size during birth? Difficult vaginal delivery can cause multiple soft tissue and bony injuries to the baby. The other possibilities include connective tissue disorders. There are certain connective tissue disorders wherein the bones and soft tissues do not have adequate strength and they get injured easily. Bleeding can occur due to deficiency of certain nutrients like vitamin K. You need to consult a pediatrician for clinical assessment and relevant investigations to diagnose the condition. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: What causes soft tissue injuries in child after brith? 4 hours later
Thank you for replying to my concerns. Yes it was a normal vaginal delivering. she only weight a little over 5 pounds at birth she was born a month early. they only kept her in the hospital for 3 weeks after birth. she is back in the hospital now at only 2 months old, the doctors checking her have said they thought she had a stroke and also that she may have some kind of bleeding disorder, but not certain. now today they have also found that she has retinal bleeding around the eye, i hope i spelled that right, they are having trouble finding a medical reason what is causing all of this,some of what you said has help some,and i will pass it on, i am trying to help them find the cause, so any more info that you can give i will be great full, what kind of doctor do they need that specializes with premature babies, the ones working with her now dont know to much about premature babies and i feel this is why they dont really know whats going on.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult a neonatologist for further work up Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, As I have previously mentioned that you need to consult a pediatrician. A pediatrician is a child specialist and a neonatalogist is a specialist who looks after infants and premature infants. Bleeding episodes involving brain and retina can be due to bleeding disorder. There are various conditions which cause bleeding. Disorders of coagulation system or clotting factors can lead to bleeding. A complete coagulation profile needs to be done. Besides disorders of coagulation system, disorders of vessel wall can also cause bleeding at multiple sites. The blood vessel wall is made up of connective tissue. Any abnormality of connective tissue causes weakening of vessel wall. Weak vessel walls get injured on slightest trauma. The above mentioned possibilities have to be ruled out. Consult a neonatalogist for further work up. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal