What causes snoring,mouth breathing and nasal obstruction in a child?

ENT Specialist
kid has snoring and breath sounds drs told its adenoid my 3.3 yr son got normal breath sound that we can hear on dec 8 for wic my pead dr gave ns saline levocetrizen then on 19 dec he got snoring during sleep nasal flaring but no cough or secretion dr gave him antibiotic amoxicillin duet and kid got loose motion , fever after antibiotic next day dr added probiotics and one more antibiotic clarithromycin which I dint give due to vomit added oxy nasal drops for 2 days during amoxicillin nasal sounds reduced to 75 % but 25 sounds was there which I was managing by nasal saline drops an
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: if recurrent infection go for surgery Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Adenoids could be the reason. It is not one episode which is the deciding factor for surgery. If your son has recurrent episodes of snoring, mouth breathing , nasal obstruction or nasal discharge then you should go for adenoid surgery. Recurrent means more than 7 episodes in a year (approximately). Otherwise you can continue with normal saline nose drops. In doubt do reply.
Follow-up: What causes snoring,mouth breathing and nasal obstruction in a child? 15 hours later
from 2 days kid z not slept properly yesterday went to dr he confirmed with adenoids by xray wich I attaced given pottasium calv n cef antibiotic for 7 days then asked me to continue with levocetrizen mont, oxy drops for 2 days, then nasal saline drops n more steam inhalation I asked for nebulisation but he told no use???? how to avoid adenoids in future and to control now how many days it will take to come out from dz fully will dz antibiotic work ? he has no fever or other symptoms active morning time except sleeping with snoring from two days
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 27 hours later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics will help Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX ji, The X ray shows enlarged adenoids , which needs treatment. Yes the antibiotics are good enough and will surely help. In spite of plain Levocetrizine , i prescribe it with a decongestant like the syrups in market like Syrup T Minic , or Sinarest etc. Decongestants are required in such conditions . And oxymetazoline is nasal decongestant which will help but take it for few days only like 8 days but not more than that. Try to avoid nebulisation until it is required. which can be decided by chest sounds by auscultation with stethoscope. Better is Steam inhalation . Adenoids get enlarged because of the infection . You must take care of the kid by giving good nutritious diet and let him play as much he wants. there are few ways of decreasing the adenoids non surgically, like - (You must consult your doctor for that) like mometasone nasal spray for around 12 weeks. There has been reported literature in many european journals and i too have some patients using it , the spray decrease the size of adenoids. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: What causes snoring,mouth breathing and nasal obstruction in a child? 58 minutes later
ok thank u dr
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Thankyou Detailed Answer: Thankyou
can I get humidifier to use in bed room z that helps the condition
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 21 hours later
Brief Answer: humidifier is a good option Detailed Answer: Hello, You can use humidifier. just avoid excessive use .ie use when there is cold. and avoid exposure to cold breeze. Allow the child to play which will help in secretion of adrenaline which natural decongestant.and playing will help improve his immunity also. In doubt do reply