What causes smelly odor in vagina after starting birth control?

Question
I have a plasticy odor in my vagina. this started happening after i started happening after i went on birth control and my boyfriends release inside me. what can this be??
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Women Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Vaginal infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Most probably it could be vaginal infection. Kindly reply if this is associated with vaginal discharge?. Do you have vaginal itching? What I suggest you is get a per-speculum examination done and get a PAP smear to rule out any infection. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: What causes smelly odor in vagina after starting birth control? 10 minutes later
No itching, i had a PAP smear done. LEts say when i get a per-speculum exmaination done and come back negative then what can it be? also what infection can cause the smell? also their is no discharge what so ever and the smell his been around for a month.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be bacterial vaginosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Your symptoms could be due to change in the vaginal flora, sometimes it may smell like fishy also. PAP smear won't show all the infections, then you might need vaginal smear for culture and sensitivity; which I am not recommending you right now. What infection can cause the smell? bacterial vaginosis. Per-speculum will rule out any cervical congestion or foreign body in the vagina. What I advise you is, avoid unprotected sexual intercourse where there is deposition of semen in the the vagina till this bad odour goes off. Do not excessively clean, douche or rub the private parts. You would only wipe off normal " good " bacteria of the vagina, thereby leading to more infections. Do not constantly keep washing the area. Keep it clean and dry. Avoid excessive moisture, do not use medicated / perfumed products locally. Try and give yourself some breathing space. Take care. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!