What causes smell of sulfur or ammonia in my nose?

Question
I HAVE A HORRIFIC SULFUR OR AMMONIA SMELL IN MY NOSE. IT IS THERE 24/7. SOMETIMES IT STOPS WHEN I DRINK A LIQUID OR EAT. ANY ANSWERS ?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be infection or allergy Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX You smell sulfur or ammonia but it decreases with drinking or eating something. From this description it seems like a local pathology and not something neurological. I assume that you are able to smell other things like food etc normally. I also assume that it does not precede a migraine or epilepsy. I am suspecting a local infection that has some component of sulphur in it. It can be an infection of the sinuses like a fungal infection or even actinomyces. It can also be a postnasal drip that gives continuous smell. Tonsillolith (small stones in tonsils) can also lead to chronic infection and present with bad odour in nose. An examination by an ear, nose and throat specialist is needed. Tests like X-rays and biopsies can provide diagnosis. Treatment will depend on the diagnosis. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes smell of sulfur or ammonia in my nose? 13 minutes later
Hello, again, Doctor. I forgot to mention that I have dry mouth. Sorry. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dry mouth can exacerbate smell Detailed Answer: Hi again Dry mouth may be due to existing bacterial infection or due to medicines you are taking. In either case it can exacerbate the smell. Thus the best next step would be to get tested for bacterial infection like nasal swab, throat swab or sputum culture. Hope it helps Dr Vaishalee