What causes smell of ammonia in nose and nausea?
User rating for this question
Recently I am experiencing the smell of ammonia and a slight nausea. The smell is stronger at some times. Is this something to be concerned about? I am a 65 year old woman in good health. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No. It is Parosmia. Caused by Sinus infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Nothing to concerned about. Now you are suffering from a type of smell disorder called Parosmia. As you have the recent history of sinus infection, this might be the cause for this sense of smell of ammonia. Sinus infection is a upper respiratory infection. This infection destroys the sensory nerves in the nose which sense the smell. This lead to inability of these nerves to encode and send the correct signal to the olfactory bulb, which serves as the processing center for smells. As the nerves are destroyed, you now perceive the smell of ammonia. Nausea could be due to stimulation by this false sense of smell of ammonia. You need the further testing for smell by presenting different odors of substances. At present there is no cure for this Parosmia. But it may diminish over time. Do not lose your hope and do not worry. Your sense of smell will return to normal after sometime. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
People also viewed
- Cramping period late
- What causes smell of ammonia in nose and nausea
- Is unusual bleeding or bruising a side effect of seroquel xr?
- Is dizziness or lightheadedness a side effect of minocycline?
- Preventing side cramps while running
- What causes ammonia smell in nose
- What causes smell of sulfur or ammonia in my nose
- Is slow or irregular heartbeat a side effect of allopurinol?
- Phantom menstrual cramps in perimenopause
- Is flushing or redness of the skin a side effect of topicort?
- The departed cranberry juice scene
- Is unusual weight gain or loss a side effect of allopurinol?
- Constant ammonia smell in the nose cause
- Cppd deposition
- What causes a bleach or ammonia smell in the nose