What causes small raised growth on the inside of my lower leg?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello I have this small raised growth on the inside of my lower leg, i have it quite a number of years now. It is slightly raised white and shiny with a red halo around it. The lump itself doesnt hurt but the area around it can sometimes be tender. I wondered if you had a idea on what it may be. Thankyou
Posted Sat, 3 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Dermatofibroma Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query. I would keep a possibility if Dermatofibroma. Though, I would like to confirm it 100% by looking at it. Can you upload a good clarity picture of the lesion? Dermatofibroma frequently develops on the extremities (mostly the lower legs) and is usually asymptomatic, although pruritus and tenderness can be present. Usually dermatofibromas appear alone, but sometimes there may be several. On palpation, the hard nodule may feel like a small pebble fixed. Tenderness may be elicited with manipulation of the lesion. A dermatofibroma usually dimple inward when pinched. Possible causes of dermatofibroma are: A minor injury in the form of a prick, insect bite etc Dermatofibroma are best ignored. However, Dermatofibroma can be removed surgically by excision biopsy, and subsequently sent for histopathological confirmation. regards