What causes small raised bumps on the shaft?

Dec 2013

Hello doctor i have a concern regarding the private area. I've noticed small raised bumps on my shaft. I went to see the doctor about a 3 weeks ago they advised it was sign of possible irritation from hair follicles piercing the skin and prescribed me mupirocin ointment. The bumps seemed to scab up and heal afterwards, but now havent used the ointment in a few day and now i see 2 small bumps possibly reappearing in different areas on my shaft. Could this be herpes? I'm terrified
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly send pictures of high resolution Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for small raised bumps on your shaft. The history provided by you is too brief to reach to any conclusive point. Kindly tell me certain important points related to your problems: - Since how long you have all the bumps problems. - have you ever felt fluid filled vesicles or blisters or any ulcers in grouped manner. - Is there any itching or burning or pain sensation over the same. If so then is it mild/moderate or severe. - Any history of unprotected intercourse in recent past (within 2 weeks of the occurrence of bumps) It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of areas so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). Hope to hear soon from your side. "With good health wishes" Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow-up: What causes small raised bumps on the shaft? 28 minutes later
- Since how long you have all the bumps problems. *I first noticed the original bumps 2 days after having unprotected sex. I went to the doctor on the 5th day to have looked at. Was prescribed ointment and determined hair follicles piercing skin caused an irritation. There were 3 bumps not clustered or grouped fluid filled at all. Those bumps have scabbed over and now seem to be healing. I have since stopped using the ointment to let it heal on its own. 2 weeks later i felt a "mild itch" on my shaft on the same side but nothing was there to see when i inspected it. Today i see these 2 bumps posted in the photo, i applied peroxide to see if any irritation occurred there was none. i reapplied the prescribed ointment and now sending this info to you for feedback. I am not scheduled for a followup with the doctor until March. So I am extremely worried. I have not had sex with my ex since the original time, but i do have another woman i am now seeing. And we did have sex but a condom was used the first time but not the second time. I do not want to continue a relationship with her if I potentially may have contracted something from my Ex..
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: molluscum contagiosum; do not scratch or touch Detailed Answer: Hello young man, Thanks for your follow up and sending important information along with the pictures. After thoroughly analyzing the pictures and correlating with your history I can make out that you do not have herpes. SO be relaxed about the same. In herpes there are grouped lesions which are vesicles and remain for only day or two then leave behind painful ulcers which heals in 7-14 days. I can not see as well as make out any such features in your condition. Now for the part of most probable diagnosis- I can make out the condition as "molluscum contagiosum". It is a type of viral infection caused by molluscum contagiosum virus. It appears as a simple whitish bead and when fully formed mimics a pearl like whitish bump with central indentation in it. It is totally asymptomatic condition and never cause any discomfort except for itching some times rarely. It is commonly seen after an unprotected sexual intercourse or sometime without this thing also. It is very well treatable by simple "needling and extraction". This is a method in which by simple needle we puncture the area and extract out a whitish bead from inside which we call as needling and extraction. This is a simple office procedure and I would advice you to get it done from your nearest doctor. For the interim of the help you can apply peroxide very thinly and carefully at night time and wash it after 1 hour. It will cauterize the bump and will fall of by itself. Do not forget to use protection every time during sexual intercourse and be gentle during act so that there should not be further trauma and spread of virus. The other point of advice to you is kindly don't scratch the area from your side as it can lead to spreading of this simple problem. Do maintain the habit of safe practice in every situation. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help or if you do not have any clarifications you can close the discussion and rate the answer. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD- Dermatology & STD)