Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes small bump of tissue after fake tooth breakage?

I'm a healthy, 29 year old male. I have two fake teeth in my mouth and tonight, one broke out. It is a bonding material that is bridged to the adjacent teeth, so if one breaks out, there is a gap there. Tonight when it broke out, I noticed there's a small bump of tissue in its place. I am not immediately alarmed by this but wanted to make sure it's nothing to be worried about. It's right where the dentist works when she replaces this tooth (it breaks regularly) so I assume if it was something serious she would have pointed it out. But, just to be safe, I wanted to check. It is painless, seems to roll around with my tongue pushing on it. It isn't hard but rather soft. This is an area that is regularly worked on and has bled several times so I'm not sure if this is scar/regenerative tissue or what. I would like to make sure it's not a rare oral wart or anything. Thank you for your time very much.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: could be fibroma Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. Please let me know following details to suggest better in this regard. 1.when did you notice it?or since when do you feel it is present in your mouth? 2 Although painless,but Does it bleed upon touch? 3.Can you please explain the cause for missing teeth,was it decay or trauma? 4.Please mention if you are taking any medications. Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes small bump of tissue after fake tooth breakage? 1 hour later
1. I only noticed it when the fake tooth came out; I have no way of knowing how long it has been present as the fake tooth covers it up. 2. It does not bleed. 3. I am missing this tooth and the same tooth on the opposite side naturally; they never came in and it is hereditary in my family. 4. I am not taking any medications. I met with my dentist this evening to put my tooth back in (she is a family friend so she met me on a Sunday) and I asked her about the bump. She said it is basically scar tissue from all the work that has been done around that area.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be Fibroma Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. First of all thanks for complete detail answers.These details and the images suggest that it could be fibroma. This arises due to irritation caused to the mucosa.It could be a jagged tooth any appliances,prosthesis(artificial teeth) or the dental treatment itself can cause this. Therefore please do not worry about it .It can be surgically removed by simple excision if it interferes in the treatment procedures. In any case if you find any change in the lesion like redness,bleeding or pain then please report to the dentist else please do not worry about it. Let me know for further query. Thanks. Take care.