What causes slight enlargement near right tonsil?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, I am 26 old male. A 2 months ago I have noticed a slight enlargement in front of my right tonsil. It's whitish in color and it goes along the edge of the structure just in front of the tonsil. I can feel with the top of my tongue it's a bit harder than the surrounding tissue. I don't smoke or drink. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks like a tonsillar cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The photograph is showing a tonsillar cyst (from appearance). Tonsillar cyst is the collection of debris in the tonsillar crypts (depressions normally present in tonsils). These usually do not need any treatment until and unless these cause symptoms like foreign body sensation or dysphagia. Treatment is excision which usually is combined with tonsillectomy. Palpation of the area before final planning is necessary but appearance is of cyst. Feel free to ask another query. Regards

Follow-up: What causes slight enlargement near right tonsil? 46 minutes later
Dear Dr Duggal, Many thanks for your answer. Are tonsillar cyst XXXXXXX in any way if there is no problem with swallowing? What it means 'foreign body sensation'? I can feel with my tongue it feels a bit harder than the surrounding tissue. Also I can feel the tissue with my finger. Whitish color changes temporally to color of the surrounding tissue if I touch it harder. Color goes back to whiter after 10-15 minutes. What would be the 'normal' feeling of the cyst? Harder/fixed, etc ? Many thanks.

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. No, tonsillar cysts are not XXXXXXX Foreign body sensation is feeling of something stuck in throat. Firm feeling. Rest all description matches the diagnosis of cyst. If you are really worried about it, get it removed. Feel free to ask another query. Regards

Follow-up: What causes slight enlargement near right tonsil? 21 hours later
Hello, Is it expected for the tonsillar cysts to change over time (few weeks to few months) or do they remain the same? Could the course of antibiotics help with the shrinking or removing the cyst? Is there anything I should pay attention to? If the cyst remains there for the longer time (more than a few months) is it normal and still not dangerous? Is tonsillectomy recommended in cases like this, if I am not experiencing any significant difficulties? Best Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Descriptive Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. May be months or years. Slight change can be there with antibiotics. Not likely. If no symptoms then it is up to you. If symptoms then surgery is the option. Regards