What causes sleeplessness and itchiness all over body inspite of taking Trazodone and Citalopram?

I take Trazodone to sleep, I take Citalopram during daytime . My question is can this work, it has been for a year, but now I'm having itchy skin with no apparent rash, pretty much all over, is it the meds?
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Unlikely due to drugs, get tests Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to HCM! I have read the query carefully and from my clinical experince I can say that the drug combination is ok, and the timings of drugs are appropriate. However, you have not motioned the dosage of the two medicines, so I cannot tell why you still need a sleeping pill or not. When the depression is treated adequately, then the sleeping medicine is not needed after some days or weeks. You mentioned developing itch all over the body but no apparent rash. It is uncommon to see itch / rash whither any of the two medicines which you are taking, but I would advice that you should get your kidney test ( bilirubin levels)-- if elevated, the this prescription should be revised. Citalopram is usually considered to be a safe and mild drug. Trazodone is also good but may produce some unwanted sideffects, but even then: itch is not usually seen. So, either there is some chemical ( kidney function test) disturbance or, allergy due to some cloth/ food time which is causing the itch. Get kidney test, Hb%, TCL,DLC, platelets, ESR value, liver test. If all are normal, the it is most likely to be related to some allergy. For now ( as well as for allergy) one have good response to tab. levocitrizine taken once a day , preffrably at night. Hope the reply is useful for you please feel free to ask more questions for clarifictaion, I will be pleased to answer them Dr. Manisha Gopal MD psychiatry