What causes skin darkening around the buttock crack area?

Hello, I was just wondering lately I've noticed that I a having some skin darkening around my bum crack area. I live in the tropics is this due to sweating? How can I make the skin go back to it's normal colour I've try skin bleach etc nothing worked.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rule out acanthosis nigricans Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. There are some microdermabrasion treatments and also laser treatments by dermatology that may be feasible; however, the first thing that needs to be ruled out would be that such discoloration is not associated with a secondary process; the most common association would be that of diabetes, so specifically that should be ruled out with a blood test (eg. Hemoglobin A1c). If the dermatologist thinks that the discoloration is consistent with acanthosis, the first thing to be tested for is indeed diabetes. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic Cardiology