What causes sinus headache while taking levocetirizine?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
hi i keep on getting sinus headaches behind my eyes and forehead and they make me really sleepy all day long i am getting 8 hours of sleep every night and i am not sick, i don't have any mucus discharge or a cough, nothing is wrong with my eyes, but i do have tmjd. i thought it was allergies, but it still happens even after taking levocetirizine for allergies what is wrong?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 46 minutes later
hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. You must realise that sinusitis or a sinus problem is not the only cause of headache even in the areas of sinuses. Also you must note that though allergies and sinus problems can occur together, they are separate entity and if you cure one, it may not cure the other. In any case like i mentioned earlier, headaches can be cause of many causes. Additionally, unless you are taking lots of medications for allergies and you have other causes of headache, sinusitis will not cause increased sleep. There is no direct co relation between sleep and sinusitis. Of course in severe sinusitis your sleep will definetely get disturbed but having increased sleep is not common. Coming to your management per say, I would advice these- - since you mentioned your eyes are fine then I assume you have already done this or else get an ophthalmologist opinion and refraction testing done. - get a CT PNS and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the report - do steam inhalation two to three times in a day - maintain good diet and do not skip a meal - your TMJD may increase your sinus headache so make sure it is treated and controlled. get a dental consult if needed. - have a good control of your allergies with antihistamines or sprays as advised by your doctor as they have a good effect on the sinusitis though they are not the same as I mentioned earlier - reduce stress and try relaxation methods like yoga and meditation. -if all the above are fine then you must take a CT Brain and get a neurological consult as soon as possible Hope this helps and if you have any more doubts you can always get back to me regards Dr Sriram Nathan