What causes shortness of breath?

I have been having shortness of breath for several months. Went to my MD,said suspected intrisic asthma. But I don't feel like that is the problem. I have no cough,no wheezing ,exercise is not a problem. Just the breathing issues on a daily basis. I am 53, have never smoked. I am Artist and I do use spray sealer to protect my pieces after I have painted them and do this outdoors. My chest xray showed mildly hyperinflated but grossly clear,no effusion,consolidation or pneumothorax,cardimediastinal silhouette,pulmonary vascularity within normal limits. Suggesting that it was COPD. Blood work showed momocytes count of 0.3 and carbon dioxide count of 30. My spirometry was fev1 70% ...,fev6 105,.....fev1/fev6 66. I was on singular that didn't seem to help,have been on Dulera for two weeks have had a couple of days where I have noticed symtoms not as bad but nothing consistent. Am starting a round of steroids today. What is your opinion?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 11 hours later
Brief Answer: You could be suffering from mild asthma. Detailed Answer: Hello Dear, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Having gone through your query,i would like to state that: 1. asthma often presents with breathing difficulty and no other symptoms. 2. Hyperinflated lung fields go in favour of asthma. 3. Spirometry shows mild obstruction which is seen in asthma. 4. You are using a spray sealer which may be a source of allergy. Hence, in view of above, i feel you are suffering from asthma, though of mild intensity. You should continue singular lc and dulera or seroflo inhaler on regular basis. Avoid allergens as much as possible. Your symptoms do not seem very severe and do not warrant oral steroids. However if your physician is of the opinion you may take a short course. Bye.