What causes shortness of breath on exertion?

I faced issue like short breathing 2.5 yrs back and was treated for asthma of initial stage.. I feel relaxed but now again when I use stairs or rush to some place, I feel tired, exhausted and short breathing .. Need suggestions to cure it or some preventive measure?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that what symptoms you are saying are not of exclusively of asthma . Feeling shortness of breath on exertion can be due to variety of reasons , even lack of stamina can make you feel this way . You will need to get a pulmonary functions test done to assess the condition of the lung . A chest X ray and ECG will also be required if your treating doctor feels so .In your case physical examination is very important to auscultate the chest which will give us a clue regarding the disease . You will need to see a physician or pulmonologist in person for this . Till then avoid smoking and pollution . Breathing exercises specially yoga will be very beneficial for increasing the lung compliance . Try to do aerobic exercises half an hour at least 5 times a week . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: What causes shortness of breath on exertion? 26 hours later
I learnt that generally aerobics is done to loose weight . I am already almost under wait. so kindly suggest me what kind of aerobics should I do and also guidance on diet.. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for reverting back. Well its only purpose is not to lose weight it also increases the lung compliance , any type of aerobics , you can do it .For your disease there are no dietary restrictions . You can eat whatever you want but if there is any food stuff that you feel precipitate it like peanuts etc . you should avoid it . Dr. Shruti