What causes shortness of breath and light headedness after taking Amiodarone?

I've been taking 200mg of Amiodarone daily since a cardioversion in early Dec. 2013. I now have shortness of breath and some light head issues. Could this be from the Amiodarone or COPD. I've cut back on my smoking but, I still smoke. I've smoked since I was 20 yrs. old and now I'm 67
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Due to Aiodarone. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The shortness of breath and light headedness that you have developed can be due to Amiodarone. It happens due to pulmonary fibrosis and interstitial lung disease caused by the medicine. Risk factors include high cumulative dose, more than 400 milligrams per day, duration over two months, increased age, and preexisting pulmonary disease. You need to get your pulmonary functions evaluated and get your doses adjusted in case the tests are abnormal. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL