What causes shortness of breath and clicking noise in my chest while on prilosec for acid reflux?

So a couple months ago I was diagonosed with Acid Refulx. In which my doctor prescribed me with prilosec. Im going to be honest I stopped taking it for a while but starting taking it again for the last week. I am trying to figure out if these new symptoms are acid related. Im a healthy 20 year old male, I recently had A BUNCH of blood work done for a different reason and everything came back normal. Any way my lastest symptoms are A very mild shortness of breath while laying on either side but the discomfort is below my chest but above my belly button. Once I fall alseep and wake up in the morning im fine, I can lay there without getting short of breath. Next symptom happens about once a day and it feels like fluid coming back up throat that instantly makes me cough very severely. I try and cough it up but nothing looks abnormal. Lastly is a clicking type noise in my chest, mainly happens in the morning. It really happens after I burp and it feels like air or something that cant escape. But its more of a "clicking" sound. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acid reflux most likely... Detailed Answer: Hi, I went through the details submitted. I understand you been diagnosed with acid reflux but I am not sure whether or not you underwent an endoscopy. Any way my comments are as follows: 1. Shortness of breathe on lying down is a concerning symptoms. It is usually seen in patients with heart illness. However since you are able to sleep off well and do not have frequent awakenings from breathlessness, I doubt you had a serious heart problem. So I am not worried. 2. As I know acid reflux can present with shortness of breathe and discomfort, I would like you to continue prilosec for 2-3 weeks before we can evaluate for this breathing problem. I feel you will be alright with this medication. You can also add antacid three times a day along with dietary changes - low spicy food and no beverages for additional benefits. 3. Abdominal pain above the belly button seems to be related to GERD. Prilosec, antacid and dietary changes should take care of this problem too. 4. Clicking noise from chest - though this is not unusual associated complaint of GERD, I am not concerned with it. To summarize, all the fresh symptoms in a way seems to be related to GERD. I would encourage you to take the medicines religiously. Start a modified diet as described above. Restrict smoking and alcohol if any. And start physical exercise. I would wait for 3 weeks before opting for other test if GERD symptoms are not solved. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards