What causes shiny flat pink bump on the thigh?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I am enquiring about a skin lump on my thigh. I would like to speak with a dermatologist. I have had it a number of years and when I was a teenager a doctor said it was just a foreign body thing, but I'm wondering whether to be concerned in the years since as it has never gone away. It is pink (darker around the outside) and shiny, fairly flat but raised above the skin and feels hard.
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dermatofibroma Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX I would like to keep a possibility of Dermatofibroma. These lesions are commonest on the limbs and appear as firm, dome shaped, slightly erythematous palpable nodules. Size varies from a few millimeters to 2 cm. Clinically it is Asymptomatic OR may itch and pain a little. Its a benign tumor. Treatment, if desired is Excision Biopsy OR cryosurgery. Take care regards

Follow-up: What causes shiny flat pink bump on the thigh? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your helpful answer. Dermatofibroma is reassuring! Is it unlikely to be basal cell carcinoma then, given that it is largely unchanged all this time? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: BCC unlikely Detailed Answer: Hi. You mentioned it right, it is unlikely to be BCC given that it has remained largely unchanged all those years. Basal-cell carcinomas are found on the head and neck in 80 percent of cases. Take care regards