What causes sharp stabbing pain randomly in my left calf behind my knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have sharp stabbing pains randomly in my left calf behind my knee, what casuses this problem.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Evaluate if necessary... Detailed Answer: Hello, There can be various causes for pain in calf and the most common cause is muscle fatigue due to constant standing however there can be other common causes like- - Dehydration and loss of electrolytes like potassium,sodium or deficiency of calcium and magnesium. - Muscle pain due to use of drugs like statins - Use of diuretics resulting in loss of electrolytes. - Anaemia due to lack of iron. - Hypothyroidism - Peripheral neuropathic pains due to diabetes or alcoholism or lack of VIT B 12 - Venous insufficiency, artery blocks and sciatica are rare possibilities If the pain is troubling you significantly, I would order relevant investigations to isolate from the list above. Your local doctor will know about those tests. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care