What causes sharp pin prick pain and cold toes?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I sprained my ankle two weeks ago. Even with resting and keeping it elevated, I get a sharp pin prick pain and have cold toes. I have been to the foot and ankle specialist who has me wearing a boot. I also have pain that radiates up my leg at times. What's going on?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Nerve damage is suspected-consult an orthopedician Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. Sprain ankle is rupture of ligaments around the ankle joint. The sprain is managed by immobilisation of the ankle joint and pain relief by analgesics. Sharp pain and cold clammy toes is not a regular feature of sprain. These symptoms suggest associated nerve injury. Previous history of fracture of ankle and management with screws and plate could also lead to these symptoms. However the symptoms can be unrelated to the sprain or screws & plate.. They could be due to nerve disease in the form of degeneration. You need to consult our orthopedician for clinical examination and relevant investigations so that the condition can be managed appropriately. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal