What causes sharp pain inside mouth?

Eating dinner I experienced a sharp pain inside my mouth which moved to the upper part of my neck on the right side. Very sharp pain. I thought I might have swallowed a piece of glass which is what it felt like. After about an hour of light vomiting, coughing--it felt like a lump in my throat. It feels like there is a lump in my throat. Went to the ER and nothing was found. One day later, the lump is still there. It is the sensation of something in my throat.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is mostt likely a sensation! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what you experienced during dinner. From all the information you have provided, my greatest suspicion is that this is ore of a sensation than a lump. There is just no reason why of a sudden a lump would be present in your throat shortly after dinner. Lumps grow over time and it would be very unlikely for one to show up instantly. Also, I am certain the doctors examined your throat in the ER and any foreign particle would have been identified and removed. Not having reported any problem after examination means there is nothing at least visible there right now and should not cause any symptoms. I understand how troubling this sensation can be. The good news is that it would slowly go away over the next days. There is really no magic pill that would address this instantly. J hope this answers your query fully. Please, feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: What causes sharp pain inside mouth? 12 minutes later
A very sharp pain in the jaw/upper neck area occurred before any sensation of a foreign object when I swallow. Very sharp pain. Please address this symptom. I never experienced this before. I can feel a lump on the side of the neck when swallowing. There is no obstruction and the throat is red on the right side.
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks for following up with me. I have gone through your symptoms and the time line very carefully. For sure you have pain as described but, this pain is most likely not caused by an infection. It is more of a mechanical pain linked to the repeated vomiting efforts and the pain during chewing. I will recommend that you use pain medications like Tylenol/Ibuprofen to control this. The inflammation and redness of your neck is also associated with this mechanical efforts that you experienced. Let the pains be controlled and this would be okay. At this time, I will not even want to suggest that an antibiotic is needed. There is just no reason to suspect that an infection here. If it should happen i future, then we would look at the evidence and recommend antibiotics. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.