What causes sharp pain in the neck vein?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
During the night, I was awaken by a sharp pain in the vein in my neck on the left side. I rubbed the area and it subsided and I went back to sleep. Earlier today while I was working on my computer, the stabbing pain recurred. Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No need to be concerned if no other symptom... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history carefully and it seems that the sharp apin you felt might be muscular-skeletal. I suggest to: - do some light exercises involving the muscles of the neck and shoulder and arms - apply warm clothing to the painful area - can use analgesic cream locally - do not stay too long in front of computer/TV to avoid muscle stiffness. Can have some break and do some light exercises. There is no reason to be concerned unless you are having other symptoms (i.e. chest pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.) Otherwise, no need to be concerned! Dr.Bardha