What causes sharp pain in the left side of my head while coughing?

When I cough I get a sharp pain on my left side of my head above my temple- I am not sick and do not have a cold. What could it be? This has been going on for about a month. Also during this same time frame I have noticed that I can hear my heart beat in my right ear at times. I went to the ENT and had my ears cleaned, but that has not helped.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. I have throughly reviewed your query and find that you have two problems,for which I am going to answer one by one. Although the most common causes for such type of headaches arising out of coughing are due to sinusitis or high blood pressure but there can be other reasons also like cerebral aneurysm or some brain tumour. An MRI or MRA should be able to clear the doubt regarding this. Similarly migraine headache or cluster headache can sometime cause headache on coughing. Hearing of heart beat in right ear could be due to high blood pressure,some carotid artery disease,some fluid build up in middle ear,could be some ear muscle disorder etc. In nutshell,you require a thorough check up by your PCP and then careful assessment by a neurologist and a ENT specialist should help you in arriving at the diagnosis of the cause. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks