What causes sharp pain in knee?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I got a new mattress recently, and it's got a thick pillow top. When I get into my bed normally, I put my knee in and swivel into bed. After doing this on my new bed a few times, I have a sharp pain in the skin on my knee. It's fine afterward, and doesn't look any different at all. There is a small area around where it hurts that I can't feel when I scratch it anymore. Now it only hurts when I hit it in a certain way. Specific things are when kneeling on a hard surface. I'll just about forget about it, and then it will hit and I'll nearly loose balance. :(
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pain seems to be inflammatory in nature. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description pain over your knee seems to be inflammatory in nature. Due to inflammation it causes more pain when kneeling on a hard surface or get hit in a certain ways. I advice you to give you rest to the part affected, do icing over affected area and take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care...