What causes sharp pain between left shoulder blade and spine?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hi Iam 52 yrs old and have been having sharp pain between left shoulder blade and spine. The pain goes down the entire arm to thumb , index , and middle fingers . The fingers either are numb or feel like pins and needles . Ive been to emergency room and doctors that cant tell me anything , he said i have neuropathy ! can you please help me w/ this /
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Description below. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. This numbness and tingling is more likely to be due to a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis or vitamin B 12 deficiency. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. An X-ray of the cervical spine and few blood investigations will help in proper diagnosis. Medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce neuropathic pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor. You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. You may need to take rest for early healing. Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises. Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care