What causes sharp pain around left breast?

May 2013
Hi, just a quick question, having sharp pains around left breast , specifically arm pit going to the nipple , patterns are very similar to what my mother described prior to her diagnoses for breast cancer 4 years ago, at age 67, which led to total left mastectomy and axillary lymphatic nodes removal. I am 40 years of age, no history of any other chronic diseases in our family.Just have been treated for bronchitis (2 sets of AB's during 4 weeks).I am a smoker.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to get evaluated Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Breast pain can occur due to many causes, like: -Cyclical hormonal changes -Mastitis, in elderly women periductal mastitis is more common. -Benign breast diseases -Malignancies Many of the breast conditions can involve the lymph nodes. By examination and investigations only the exact cause of the problem can be identified. Smoking and family history of breast carcinoma are risk factors in your case. So consult gynecologist or general surgeon once, get examined and go for sonomammography. With this workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes sharp pain around left breast? 8 hours later
Thanks for the reply I have just been checked by a Gp and I was shocked to detect a mass close to my nipple even before the dr examination, since a few days ago I couldn't find any abnormality. The mass is big enough to be easily touched and moving but is very painful to touch and arm movement. No discharge, color change or disfiguration on my breast, nipple and armpit. I am going for sonomammography tomorrow but honestly I am stressed. I know it would be difficult to go ahead and get to any conclusion without further investigation but would you please tell me what would be the possible diagnoses and prognosis in my condition?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibly benign mass Detailed Answer: Hi, Painful breast masses can be seen in different conditions. According to your history, fast growing, painful, movable mass could be: -A infected fibroadenoma -Fibroadenosis -Retention cyst -Ductal papilloma etc. As the mass is movable, not associated with discharge or color change, grown fastly, the possibility of malignancy is somewhat less. But as you said by detailed examination and investigations only the exact cause of the problem can be identified. Better to go for FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) with your doctor's advice. Benign conditions will have better prognosis usually. Meanwhile you can take analgesic and anti inflammatory drugs to relieve the symptoms. Take care.