What causes sharp pain around Adam's apple, mucus in back of throat and dull pain in sternum?

ENT Specialist
I have a slight sharp pains around my Adam's XXXXXXX and my neck feels quite tight. It seems to get worse later in the day, but feels much better when I lie down. I also feel there is mucus in the back of my troat and need to clear my troat quite a bit. My voice also gets hoarse on and off. I also occasionally get a dull pain down my sternum. My doctor thinks it might be reflux but isn't sure. He prescribed me nexium. He suggests I see an ENT but do not have insurance. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. I am female, 31 years old and gave up smoking 5 months ago with the use of a electronic cigarette.
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Laryngitis Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query. It suggests that you may be suffering from the laryngitis. For you kind information ---> 1. Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx, which causes your voice to become hoarse. 2. Laryngitis can be caused by: Colds or flu, Acid reflux, Overuse of your voice, irritation from allergies or smoke. 3. Most cases of laryngitis, treated by ---> Try to rest your voice, add moisture to the air in your home with a humidifier or vaporizer, and drink plenty of fluids. Don't smoke, and stay away from other people’s smoke. After this, if condition is not improved then consult the ENT specialist for better diagnosis and management. Wish you good health
Follow-up: What causes sharp pain around Adam's apple, mucus in back of throat and dull pain in sternum? 19 minutes later
My actual throat isnt sore though. I have had laryngitis before and it dosent feel the same. It comes and goes. I will feel fine and then suddenly it sort of feels like i have a lump in my throat, or somrthing stuck in there along with the sharp pains in my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have had no cold or flu. Does laryngitis come and go like this and cause the lump in throat feelin? Do you think the electonic cigarette would cause this even though i have had no problems for 5 months?g
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 16 hours later
Brief Answer: You may go for further investigations Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your follow up query. In acute laryngitis condition, it may occur (sharp pains in your XXXXXXX apple). But to rule out other conditions you may go for investigations such as 1. Laryngoscopy. 2. USG neck and 3. T3, T4 and TSH 4. If needed then, also the FNAC of the swelling. Wish you good health