What causes sharp onesided head pains when suffering from sinusitis?

Hi, I am 62 years old with sinus issues. The last 2 weeks I get a sharp shooting shock like pain on the left side of head and right below the ear. What is your recommendation. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to ear infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The sharp shooting pains on one side of the head could be due to middle ear infection caused by recurrent sinus infections or due to causes like nutritional deficiency,allergic reactions,excessive cold,exposure to chemicals,electrolyte imbalance etc. Some measures: 1)Stop smoking/ alcohol completely for few days and observe for changes. 2)Avoid alcohol,sea food as it may trigger an allergic reaction.Prefer having home made food. 3)Apply petroleum jelly overnight. 4)Have a glass of orange juice or any mixed fruit so that if any electrolyte imbalance is corrected. 5)Avoid stress and relax your mind. You can take methylcobalain supplements also. If the symptoms persist even after 5 days or worsen consider visiting an ENT specialist for evaluation as a physical examination would be beneficial. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL