What causes sharp head pain when suffering from TMJ?

Hello, I have TMJ and occaisionally I get a sharp pain localized to one spot on my head. Feels like I would think an ice pick headache does. Usually only lasts a short time. This has been going since last night though and I am now concerned it is something more serious. It is on my right temple area. Has not moved or changed since last night. Any advice?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: TMJ Detailed Answer: HI XXXXXXX I am sorry you're experiencing this discomfort. TMJ, and the pain associated with it, is not uncommon. Often the temple is involved as it appears to be in your case. The first step toward addressing the discomfort is to be careful to eat only foods that are soft in texture, for the next 24-48 hours. Most often that relieves the stress on the areas involved and allows them to heal. If you don't notice improvement in the next 24-48 hours, I recommend consulting with your doctor. Hope this will help. Wishing you speedy recovery. Regards