What causes sexual paraphilia?

Why have I always had an overwhelming desire to share my current wife/ past wife /past girlfriends with other men, by either watching or by joining in.?? My wife and I often role play that I am some guy we know, having sex with her. I have even done it a few far with no major problems......But why would I be like this? Most people would be insanely jealous
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 55 year old male • Known case of depression and nervousness. • Currently on: wellbutrin and Lipitor • Complaints of: problem of enjoying watching wife having sex with others. From the history it appear that you are suffering from sexual paraphilia. Paraphilia meanss the experience of intense sexual arousal to atypical objects, situations, or individuals (like your wife with others). There is no consensus among clinicians to consider it as an illness, so no consensus regarding treatment also. It frequently lead to significant personal and social distress. Which may lead to anxiety and depression like in your case. There is no cure for them. But following treatments are suggested for sexual paraphilia to reduce suffering: -Treatment of stress, anxiety and depression due to the paraphilia. You are already on wellbutrin for its treatment. I would prefer SSRI medicine like Fluoxetine as apart from depression it will reduce paraphilia impulse. -Psychotherapy and supportive therapy from nearby psychologist. -Antiandrogenic drugs such as medroxyprogesterone to reduce sex drive. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,