Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes severe unbearable mid/lower back pain with the sensation of nausea?

This morning at approximately 2 am I had acute severe, (almost unbearable), pain mid/lower back on both sides. I could feel what felt like my kidneys physically throbbing with my hand placed over them. I was literally doubled over in pain and no position I tried made it any better. I honestly thought I was going to pass out. I was so nauseated that i almost threw up from the pain. It radiated around my sides to the front side during the episode. After about 30 min it started easing up. I have had a constant dull achy pain along w/the nausea since then. It gets a little stronger for a few seconds at a time and returns to the bearable achy pain. I will say that the pain at its worst is comparable if not a little worse than when I gave natural childbirth. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer: could be possibly due to loaded colon Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The colicky pain in the flanks radiating to the front with waxing and weaning character appears likely to be intestinal colic which could be related to constipation, possibility of Ureteric colic to also to be considered in case you have any urinary complaints. At present relief of pain is.important. I would suggest you to take a antispasmodic like Dicyclomine for relief of pain. Once the pain subsides nausea will also settle down. In case you have more episodes of vomiting, I suggest you Taking antiemetic like Ondensetaron or Metoclopromide. You will need further investigation for diagnosing the cause of pain. I would suggest you following 1. Erect X-ray abdomen - it will give a lot of information including loaded colon which could be causing such symptoms- Enema will relieve the symptoms 2. Urine microscopic examination to rule out urinary tract infection 3 Ultrasound examination of abdomen I would suggest you to get in touch with your physician and discuss with him this and he will guide and help you further I hope it was useful to you. In case you need any further assistance, I Will be glad to assist you. Take care Wishing you speedy recovery Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: What causes severe unbearable mid/lower back pain with the sensation of nausea? 2 hours later
I would also consider constipation except for the fact that I have ibs, I think I forgot to mention, and I get constipated frequently. I know what that feels like and yes it is painful, but nothing like this and not in this area. I have had several family members that I've witnessed with kidney stones and the symptoms are very familiar. I was wandering if that is a possibility.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Renal calculi causes ureteric colic Detailed Answer: Greetings That is what I mentioned when I said ureteric colic- which occurs due to passage of kidney stone in ureter. As you have pain on both the sides, it would mean bilateral ureteric colic , which is less likely to have. As advised by me, go ahead with the investigations, it will definitely rule it out. Wishing you healthy life Take care Regards Dr T Shobha MBBS MD