What causes severe stomach pain above the navel?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Kini, I have started taking Sompraz L before breakfast as per your advise. It has been 7 days and since yesterday I am having severe pain in the stomach, just below the chest and a bit above navel in the centre. It is paining when I take deep breath or even when I poke around that area. Last night the pain was so severe that I couldn't even move while lying down. Is this related to Gastric problem? Or is there a chance that it is some kind of cramp occured while sneezing?
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 32 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I am very sorry to hear that your pain has worsened since yesterday. Sompraz L is a good medication that relieves burning pain due to acidity and also the abdominal bloating. The next step is to get a few tests done - 1. An upper GI endoscopy 2. Serum amylase and lipase test 3. A stool test These are to look for ulcer, pancreatitis and infection which all can cause pain. You can consult a gastroenterologist in your Bangalore for these tests. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What causes severe stomach pain above the navel? 19 minutes later
dear dr. I think my post was not clear. I havent had chest burn after I started sompraz l. what started yesterday was severe pain in the upper stomach which I never had before. I am also burping a lot.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 45 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, yes violent cough can cause muscle strain and cause symptoms like you have. But since you have mentioned you are also burping a lot, it is more of acidity issue than muscle strain. Continue taking Sompraz L and take Dolo 650 along with it. Dolo 650 will take care of the muscle pain. If the pain is persistent, consult your doctor for tests. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini