What causes severe stomach cramps?

General Surgeon
I didn't sleep much last night due to SEVERE stomach cramping. I am not running a fever, constipated or have Diarrhea. The cramping is worse if I lay down (worse laying on my left side). The cramping isn't as bad this morning but stomach feels very tight and soar and aching pain in lower back. Don't know if I should make a doctor apt or wait and see if it goes away.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, please visit a doctor. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, you should definitely visit a doctor. Especially if your abdomen is bloated, you havent had any stool since the pain has started, no gas is passing and you have nausea. Such symptoms can appear due to bowels obstruction caused by hernia, adhesions or large intestine issues. Lower back pain and cramping can also be a symptom of urinary tract infection. You may have also frequent urinating, burning while urinating. You should visit your doctor, have physical examination, abdominal ultrasound, blood work ad urine analysis at first. If obstruction is suspected, abdominal X-ray should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.