What causes severe sharp pain in left kidney and blood in urine after removal of stent in ureter?

I have severe sharp pain in my left kidney and im peeing blood. Pain is so sore its making my breathing go faster. Pain is sharp shooting pain in my kidney. No pain on passing urine. Previously during pregnancy my left kidney swelled up and would not drain and i had a stent inserted into ureter and removed a year later. What could this be
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be an obstructed kidney Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sending in your query. The presence of blood in urine is commonly due to infections or the presence of stones anywhere in the urinary tract (kidneys, ureter or bladder). Comparatively rare causes are cancer and diseases of the kidney like IgA disease. Since you have severe pain and are passing blood, it looks like an obstruction and/or infection of the left kidney. You have not mentioned as to what was the cause of the previous obstruction while you were pregnant. This episode could be due to a stone or some other structural problem in the urinary tract. I would suggest that you try some analgesics like tylenol and antispasmodics like cyclopam and visit the emergency room if you are unable to tolerate the pain. We should do an ultrasound of the kidneys, ureter and bladder as well as urinalysis, and blood tests like CBC, urea, creatinine. Once we have these results we would be in a better position to understand what is going on and provide suggestions for treatment. I hope this was helpful. I would be happy to provide answers to any other questions which you may have. Regards Dr Bhabhe