What causes severe posterior upper leg pain and weakness in the legs?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i have been having severe posterior upper leg pain and weakness in the legs for several months now. should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: I will advise you new MRI spine. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As you are having pain and weakness there can be spinal nerve involvement. You need to take appropriate treatment to avoid complication. I will advise you new MRI spine. If you’re new MRI shows disc bulge with nerve compression then surgery may help. Due to compression of this nerve root there is weakness in your leg and pain associated with it. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and TENS therapy will help. If nerve compression becomes severe later on then surgical decompression will give better relief. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes severe posterior upper leg pain and weakness in the legs? 44 minutes later
Thank you, I'll make appropriate appointments. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Take care.