What causes severe pain in toes but only when its cold?

Nephrologist
Question
I have severe pain in my toes but only when it gets cold
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Your toes might be getting painful due to decreased blood supple due to peripheral vasoconstriction of the arteries ( normal response of the body to cold), however in order to help you better I need more info 1. Are you a diabetic or a hypertensive? 2. Please list out all the medications you are currently on 3. Do you have any family history of vasculitis or heart disease? 4. Does the toe become blue? Does the pain come down on warming it? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in toes but only when its cold? 1 hour later
I do not have hypertension or diabetes. The only meds I am on are benedril for sleeping and venalafaxin for depression and/or anxiety. Also, the toe (s) are actually more of red and inflamed than blue. I take a warm shower each morning and find that it has a very short duration of pain relieve. This only happens in the cold winter months. Regarding family history, no one that I am aware if. Sometimes the pain is so bad it wakes me from a sleep, causes me to limp. Very painful.

Brief Answer: Normal response Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply in detail What you are experiencing is a normal physiological response, in cold climates the blood supply is re routed from the peripheries to the core and this reduced blood supply is causing pain. No particular treatment is required, keep your toes warm with extra clothing. That should be suffiecient, however for completion I advice you to approach a vascular surgeon for a lower limb Doppler to look for any blocks in the arteries. I hope I was of help , if you have any furthe queries please get back to me Regards

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in toes but only when its cold? 12 minutes later
You were very helpful. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: I am glad I was of help to you I wish you good health Regards