What causes severe pain in lower left side when I cough,sneeze or blow my nose?

Apr 2014

After a week with a moderate cough, I now have severe pain in the lower left side when I cough, sneeze, or blow my nose. After each such event, the pain subsides after a few seconds.
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pain may be due to muscle spasm during straining. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX crenshaw Thanks for writing to us Pain may be due to sprain of muscles that occurs during straining. As you have persistent cough,you can continue tablet levofloxacin (500mg) for five more days. You should also take expectorant cough syrup. For pain you can take analgesics and muscle relaxants like tablet Tizanidine for 5 days. You can also take tablet pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before food for one week as analgesics causes gastric irritation. If pain persists then Chest X-ray(PA view)should be taken to confirm other causes. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX