What causes severe pain in anterior and lateral of thigh?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have an intermittent pain in my left thigh, anterior and lateral. It is not persistent and I can recreate it with pressure but then it is only instantaneous and leaves immediately. Is it possible that it is bone related or perhaps neurological? I have a physical coming up in a few weeks and planned to address it with my doctor at that time. It is not debilitating, only concerning.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes it may be bone related or perhaps neurological Detailed Answer: “Hi, I have read your problem. Usually pain in anterior and lateral of thigh managed with pain-killers till 1 month period. If it persists beyond 1 month, then further investigations are done. Yes it may be bone related or perhaps neurological. Since you has a bad pain I will suggest the following: - Thigh pain can be due to many reasons. You should get x-ray lumbosacral spine done in AP and Lateral done send us report or discuss it with your doctor. Only then further management can be advised. - Avoid heavy weight lifting pushing and pulling heavy objects, because it will further increase back pain. - You must not wear tight pant/trouser because it is usually seen that person who wear tight pants/ trousers especially at waist suffer from pain in anterior and lateral aspect of thigh due to compression of nerve. - You can take medicine like painkillers + muscle relaxants by discussing it with your doctor. Your husband may need stronger pain-killers which are available on prescription only. He can try ibuprofen or naproxen till he sees his doctor. - Apply hot packs for 30 min in morning and evening . I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Thanks. Dr.Singh.”

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in anterior and lateral of thigh? 55 minutes later
Thank you for your kind reply. I guess my concern is sarcoma. I have a distant Hx of an undiagnosed back ailment. MRI revealed some L5 compression and arthritis (1995) . It left as mysteriously as it happened. Since that time I have not had any pain issues that did not respond to OTC analgesics. I will remain watchful. I have a physical 29 January and will advise my doctor then. Should I be concerned with a chondrasarcoma at this point?

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: yes. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query again. Since you have a physical 29 January, you must have concern about chondrosarcoma, you must discus it with your doctor he/she may again advise you MRI scan for lumbar spine to see any compression of nerve if there. You must show all your investigations regarding sarcoma and treatment if any to the doctor. You can take medicine like painkillers + muscle relaxants by discussing it with your doctor. You may need stronger pain-killers which are available on prescription only. You can try ibuprofen or naproxen till you see your doctor. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Thanks. Dr.Singh.”

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in anterior and lateral of thigh? 12 hours later
Would the pain associated with a sarcoma be different than nerve pain? The pain sensation I feel is a deep burning sensation almost like what I would feel if I received a deep IM imjection. From my experience as a nurse I believe sarcoma pain would be different, on the order of a deep constant ache. Is this a good assumption?

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are right. Detailed Answer: Hi, My friend you are right, because you are a patient and belong to medical profession (nurse) your observation is even more correct than any investigation. But my friend main point I want to explain in my previous answer was suspicion of sarcoma compressing nerve root. That means perhaps your sarcoma is compressing nerve root which leads to pain. I just want to rule out that whether pain is due to mechanical cause or due to tumor itself as some times these pains may overlap. Pain of chondrosarcoma is Deep and dull.Pain usually occurs at night. Nerve pain can feel like mildly bothersome pins and needles. For others, the pain may be severe and nearly unbearable. Although you know that pain of sarcoma is different than nerve compression even then I will advise you to remain in-touch with your doctor, because he/she may advise you further biopsy, X-ray,Computed tomography scan or Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) depending upon physical examination. I hope you have get your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.

Follow-up: What causes severe pain in anterior and lateral of thigh? 21 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX Though I am a bit relieved the fear of sarcoma is still there. The pain I am experiencing is not dull and not at night. Another observation I have made is that while a bit more intense at one specific site I also feel burning at other locations which leads me to believe there is some nerve involvement. I agree that what is necessary is a proper study to rule out any type of lesion or mass which may be causing the pressure. I will pursue this with my PCP but in the mean time I believe your answer indicates that there is a necessity to do further investigation but not any immediacy. This is a great forum. I appreciate your kind responses.

Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Further investigation may be required. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for query once again. You have follow my point. It is very good that you have understand what I want to say. You are intelligent enough to understand characteristic of pain my friend. I have met very few patients who intelligent are like you. You have burning pain which may suggest nerve compression. I am happy that you agree that what is necessary is a proper study to rule out any type of lesion or mass which may be causing the pressure. Main thing is that if it is possible to do investigation in detail then why to lose this opportunity. This is for your benefit only. Still, I would like to say that, there is a necessity to do further investigation. As if your investigations prove the cause of pain is nerve compression then your treatment will be very simple including painkiller+muscle relaxant. Although you know that pain of sarcoma is different than nerve compression even then, I will advise you to remain in-touch with your doctor. I am here to guide you for your better health. My friend , I am not here to add your confusion, I here only to guide you in a proper way. You should have firm believe in god and faith in doctor. I hope I have clarify your query. Once again my friend,I want to say that, I have seen only a few such intelligent patients like you in my practice. Best of luck my friend. You are welcome to ask any health related query, any time. Thanks. Dr.Singh.