What causes severe pain below and around the left shoulder blade?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I am having a severe pain right below and around my left shoulder blade. it extends up to the top of my shoulder and up my left side of my neck to my ear. I can’t cough or move my head to the left or right without severe pain. My muscles are so tight, they fell like bone. Its been exceatly the same for a week. tried all kid of muscle relaxers nothing seems to help. Went to my cardiolgist she checked me out said my wasn’t heart related. She said it was just tension. But how do you stop tension? I have 2 cousins with cancer and it bothers me that it is something being overlooked.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Pleural pain or muscular pain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. Ischemic heart diseases can cause pain in the chest region which can radiate to the shoulder or left arm or both. Since, you have already taken cardiologist opinion the possibility of cardiac problem is ruled out. The symptoms of around the shoulder joint radiating to neck and ear along with pain during coughing and other movements can be due to muscular pain or pleural pain. If the pain would have been muscular, it would have been relieved by muscle relaxants. Pleura is the outer covering of the lungs. Any lesion of the pleura - infection, inflammation, or growth can lead to pain in the chest region. Movement can irritate the pleura and cause pain. You need to get a chest examination and relevant investigations to know the cause of pain. Consult a physician for further work up. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: What causes severe pain below and around the left shoulder blade? 21 hours later
Thank you for the information. My next question is will it heal by its self or will it get worse or is it a problem that needs imediate attention?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: The problem needs immediate attention Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome again, It is important to know the origin and cause of pain. The condition may not heal on its own. You need to consult your doctor for relevant investigations. Timely attention will treat the condition well within time. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal