What causes severe pain ans swelling in vagina?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
We are trying to conceive and currently halfway through our two week wait. Yesterday out of nowhere I had really strong pain around my vagina. Today it hurts to sit and walk, I am extremely sore and swollen to the point i feel ill from the pain. I have read about bartholins cysts and abscesses and believe that is what I have. How did i get this? Can this be caused by intercourse? Or is it linked with pregnancy in anyway? Can it affect pregnancy and how can I cure it at home?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is not caused due to intercourse or pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You need proper clinical examination.It is not caused due to intercourse and it is not linked to your pregnancy. Your problem may be due to Bartholin's cyst or abscess.Cause of Bartholin's cyst is not known and its history is long.It is due to block of the duct that drains the fluid from Bartholin's cyst and their size varies.Where as Bartholin's abscess is a collection of pus that occurs due to infection.History of Bartholin's abscess is short and it is associated with pain,fever,redness.Abscess is treated with antibiotics and drainage can be done if abscess is large in size. So you should consult your gynecologist for detailed evaluation.It will not affect your pregnancy. Proper treatment depend upon clinical findings. It is possible to treat small Bartholin’s abscess at home with the use of sitz bath.Sitz bath will soothe your pain and discomfort. You can take three or four sitz bath a day,for at least 10 to 15 minutes each. For large abscess,drainage is required. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes severe pain ans swelling in vagina? 2 hours later
Thank you. As it is very painful des that mean its an abscess and not just a cyst? Could it cause a problem for my husband and he needs to visit the doctor? If it is left untreated what will happen? And will bed rest help to heal the cyst or abscess?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely You have Bartholin's abscess. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Most likely You have Bartholin's abscess as you have pain,however it should be confirmed by clinical examination. It will not cause any problem to your husband.He don't need to visit doctor. Your condition need attention as you have pain and discomfort,it can't be left as such. Management of cyst depend upon size.As already discussed small size can be managed by sitz bath whereas large size need drainage. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes severe pain ans swelling in vagina? 8 hours later
Thank you. How many days should I try the sits baths and rest before I see the doctor? If I can fix it at home ad not go to the doctor I'd prefer that. What could have caused it? It seems to me it must be linked with us trying to conceive last week. I was quite sore after trying to conceive as we had had intercourse a large number of times over five days and am wondering if that could have caused it? What would you call a small size cyst? How do I tell if its large or small? And if I am pregnant, can this abscess affect my baby?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back As you are pregnant you should be more cautious before taking any antibiotics. My suggestions are based on your description whereas confirmation of your disease is needed by clinical examination,so you should consult your doctor and follow their advice.Antibiotics like Cefpodoxime can be taken. You may need sitz bath for 7-8 days. Most probably it is not related to sex. Abscess occurs due to block of Bartholin's ducts with infection.Block and infection may be due to many reasons. Large or small size of cyst and their management is subjective and it depend upon doctor,so my sincere advice is that you please visit your doctor and first confirm your condition. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX