What causes severe menstrual cramps due to fallopian tube filled with fluid and is this serious?

I had an ultrasound for severe menstral cramps and was told my fallopian tube was filled with fluid and im quite concerned
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: hydrosalpin Detailed Answer: Hello Cassendra, the condition you have is called hydrosalpinx. The tubes get swollen woth fluid or blood or pus. Usually this occurs due to infection. The treatment is usually antibiotics to clear the infection. In severe cases surgery is required to drain the fluid.
Follow-up: What causes severe menstrual cramps due to fallopian tube filled with fluid and is this serious? 1 minute later
I have had these symptoms since I was 13, and have had regular yearly sti checks which have always been clear. the tube was measured at 2cm enlarged
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: 2cm is significant Detailed Answer: This kind of problem doesnt occur due to stis. Upper genital tract infection causes this. Have your doctor rule out tuberculosis first. This is long standing infection. Had to have happened over months. The tube is quite swollen. I would suggest a course of Tantibiotics first if TB has been ruled out. Then reassess with ultrasound again.THere could be a block somewhere also causing the swollen tube. Get an xray also.