What causes severe leg pain when going downhill or uphill?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
when going downhill or uphill must walk on tip of toes with leg slightly bended to prevent lightning like pain that shoots across the middle of knee which results in instant loss of knee stability, but pain is also instantly gone when weight is off. If i was able to overcome the sharp pain , and i cannot , my knee would buckle and i would fall. I am trying to find the corect brace so i can continue to climb hills and ride my dirtbike. Am using a brace for 15 yrs now that has hinges to prevent me from straigtening my leg. X-ray normal Question : What could be the problem and what type of brace ?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ligament tear likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Sudden severe pain when going downhill or uphill is likely to be due to a ligament tear. Your x-ray is normal and shows no bony and other gross abnormality whatsoever. It leaves us with possibility of ligament, meniscus, capsule or synovial injury. These are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging). The type of brace needed depends on the type and extent of injury that you have. Since the injury is an old one it is best to get the tear surgically repaired with arthroscopic technique. Usually functional knee braces or a hinged knee braces are helpful in preventing the painful movements. Your orthopedician will help in choosing the best brace for you after a direct examination. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL