What causes severe itching in vulval area and thick skin on labia?
User rating for this question
Ok, I'm 49 years old and for the past 11 years I've been experiencing severe itching in vulval area. It only seems to be on the right hand side. I've been to the docs many, many times, but nothing has helped. I can scratch myself so much, that it bleeds. I've noticed that recently my labia has thickened slightly on the affected area. And also I have noticed that unless I clean the area thoroughly I get a fishy smell. Oh and I am in a wheelchair as I suffer with FA (friedreichs Ataxia) and get frequent water infections.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: PLease, has it been biopsied? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this vulvar itches that you have had for so long. Long standing vulvar itches must be investigated fro the possibility of cancers. The best way to tell whether this is one of the possible causes is to get a biopsy done and the specimen examined in a pathology lab. If nothing concerning is identified, then managing these symptoms would be the next best step. I really don't want to think this is an infection that your doctors have failed to correctly diagnose and manage over the years. However, you being wheel chair bound may be contributing by always keeping this area moist and humid and this favoring infections. The most common would be a fungal infection that can generally be treated with antifungal creams. If a cancer and infections are ruled out as possible causes, then managing these symptoms would at least offer relief and prevent further scratching than can lead to wounds and thickening of the area. Steroid creams would be the best drugs to try. Please, talk with your doctors on this. I hope you find this helpful. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
People also viewed
- What causes darkened skin with low bp and severe itching
- Tri o bloc cream dark armpits
- Treatment for pcos failure in conception
- What causes persistent severe itching
- Fast growing blisters in armpit
- Semen analysis done what does the findings mean
- What causes severe itching with skin redness on leg
- What causes severe itching and diarrhea
- Had 8 abortions pregnant will abortions be evident in ultrasound
- Romove blackheads from armpit
- Deep blackheads in armpit
- Take soboxine strips safe medicine
- Pain and boils on the penis cause
- Black pimple on armpit
- Causes of severe itching skin