What causes severe itching in ears with smelly discharge?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Ok, this sounds silly and strange, but its worrisome and annoying. I've had an odd smell in my nose for several years. Now, I have terrible itching in my ears with a bit of a smelly discharge. Any clue what I can have my dr. look for. Can't seem to find what is the problem.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: could be infection Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and let me first assure you that you have a problem which is not very major and in all probability needs just minimal intervention and you will definitely be symptom free. Coming to your nose problem. You must analyse when do you find the smell more and how offensive is the smell. These are a few check points you need to do for this: -Try to do steam inhalation with a vaporizer about two to three times in a day and see if that helps. -Take a good look externally and see if there is any area in and around your nose which is painful. If yes then you must consult an ENT surgeon as soon as possible. -In any case the most common cause of offensive odour in nose is an infection which can be both bacterial or fungal and that can be confirmed only on examination of the nose and sinuses. This involves an endoscopy along with a CT of the nose and sinuses. You can do these and get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the reports. -You have not mentioned if you are diabetic. In any case, it is better to get the blood sugar levels examined. -Finally you must also find if the odd smell is evident only to you or people near can also get the smell. This may indicate a condition called the atrophic rhinitis which your ENT surgeon can help you with. Now coming to your ear. Though they both may be related, it is more likely that the ear problem is an independent one. You can do these: -Do not use ear buds and do not put any drops in the ear -If the discharge is painful you can start a painkiller along with an antihistamine like levocetrizine in consultation with your doctor -In any case you must get your blood sugar levels examined and controlled -Finally if the itching persists then you must consult an ENT surgeon who can examine your ears with an otoscope and give you a proper diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps and if you have any more doubts you can always ask me get well soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan