What causes severe heartburn, burping, sneezing and shaking?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Last night I had severe heartburn (burping and pain under the brestbone). I took a couple of doses of Gaviscon and Paracetamol to get to sleep. This morning it felt a little sore but no problem. After breakfast the heartburn returned and I drank plenty of water and again had a couple more doses of Gaviscon and several Paracetamol. After half an hour the chest and burps pain subsided. This afternoon (about 5/6 hours later)I started sneezing and shaking violently even though I put a jacket on I still work full time in the Oil and Gas industry but generally in front of a computer or at a desk
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing with us your medical concerns. This is Dr.Bardha assisting you and helping to find solutions to your health problems! The symptoms you are reporting are indicative for GERD (gastro-esophageal-reflux). As your work implies long sitting in front of a computer, this indicates you have little physical activity, which might aggravate GERD. I'd suggest to start taking omeprazole to get better relief apart taking Gaviscon only. Furthermore, I'd advise to: - have regular meals, do not skip any - eat slowly, eat often and small portions - avoid chillies, fried, spicy, fatty foods - avoid/limit alcohol, smoking, caffein or energetic/carbonated drinks - be more physically involved (at least 30 minutes of walking/day) - do not lay down immediately after eating - have your dinner at least 4 hours before sleeping - do use 2 pillows when sleeping If no improvement after 1 month, can consult a GI specialist and to do upper endoscopy to further evaluate the condition of your stomach. Hope it answered to your health inquiry! Feel free to ask other questions you might have! Dr.Bardha