What causes severe headaches and lump in neck?

Apr 2014

I have been experiencing headaches quite frequently lately, some of them have been excruciating. I also recently noticed that I have a pea sized lump in the back of my neck on the right side. --- In addition to these two things, I recently learned that I have a fibroid (uterine) the size of a 16 week old baby and I haven't really received any feedback on what to do nor was there any scans of any kind done. I have found another lump on my chest as well that seems to be getting bigger. I'm only 33 years old and I can't recall the last time that I felt well. Can someone help me with at least what may be triggering the headaches and the lump in my neck?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lump in the neck may be enlarged lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Pea size lump in the back of neck on the right side may be due to enlarged lymph node.It is the site of draining lymph nodes from head and neck.Usually it is due to benign reasons like scalp infection (due to dandruff,louse etc),infection in external ear etc. In most of the cases it doesn't require any treatment and it will resolve after some time.However other skin lesions like lipoma,neurofibroma etc need to be ruled out. Chest lump also need proper evaluation. For headache you need proper clinical history and examination. You need routine blood examination like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Thyroid profile.Further investigations can be done if needed. Mostly headache is due to benign reasons. It may be due to tension headache,migraine headache,sinus headache,hypertension headache,neck or eye problems etc. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. CT Scan or MRI of brain can be done if needed. Treatment of uterine fibroid depend upon many things like symptoms,family is completed or not.You have big fibroid.I think you may need surgical removal. It may be in the form of myomectomy or hysterectomy depending upon conditions.You should consult your gynecologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX