What causes severe ear pain and vibrating sensation on tapping floor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hell, I have a terrible pain in my left ear. I am 28 years old and I am very physically fit although I am a few pounds overweight. The pain is very intense and my inner ear is swollen up. I can't even touch it without it hurting. I blow my nose as though to relieve the pressure but as the air blows out of the ear it hurts more and it takes time to get the air out of the ear. I don't know what it is but I really need to have it relieved because I can't let it interfere with my work. I live in an area with a lot of noise so I wear ear plugs every night to sleep or otherwise I won't get any sleep. I don't know if it was caused because of that or maybe because I have a habit of sticking pens in my ear to scratch it. Needless to say, this will stop immediately, although I do need to continue to use the earplugs. Thank you. I don't live in the United States and here, we can buy any medicine over the counter, so I can take any antibiotic or anything you prescribe. Thank you. I forgot to tell you, when I tap the floor with my legs something inside my left ear vibrates, as though it were a guitar string vibrating. thanks again doc!
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Probability of rupture of tympanic membrane Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case, As per your symptoms there is probability of rupture of tympanic membrane leading to severe ear pain and vibrating sensation on tapping floor. Ear pain also suggests possibility of ear infection. It can be acute serous otitis media, or infection in external ear. Usually when such patient comes to me I give analgesic with anti-inflammatory like diclofenac with serratiopeptidase. Avoid exposure to strong wind to ear, you may use cotton packing. I will advise to consult doctor for clinical examination, usually there can be involvement of tympanic membrane, and antibiotic can be started according to examination. If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care